Thursday, September 19, 2013

Arcane Apparel

     Sometime in the late 90s I started making t-shirt designs for POD stores. It wasn't about making money - it was about making t-shirts that I wanted for myself. Inevitably all of the designs ended up with a bit of a morbid streak and "Arcane Apparel" was born; a Cafepress-hosted poster and t-shirt design shop where I could combine my fascination with the literary genius of H.P. Lovecraft and everything I learned (and unlearned) in Art School.

A montage of some of the older designs from the original "Arcane Apparel". 

      I had a blast for a while and then had kids - three of them - all boys. To my wife's credit she actually had the boys, all I did was... well... I think you know what my part was. Things in my life became very busy very quickly. On top of my responsibilities as a father I found myself in the process of slowly working my way up the ladder as a commercial advertising artist to the level of Creative Director (where I am very happily entrenched today). Anyone who is in the commercial advertising industry knows that long hours and little spare time come with the territory. 

A more recent design for a "Miskatonic University" t-shirt. The characters above Cthulhu's head are from a font I designed called "High Cthonic". I usually write something relevant to the image in english and then switch the font.


     Skip to today where I have decided to re-open AA with some more recent work and as an outlet for whatever scraps of spare time I manage to glean from the nearly picked-clean corpse that my life has become. Not that I'm complaining... Its much better to be too busy than not busy enough.

     Check out Arcane Apparel (currently hosted on Zazzle) and let me know what you think. I may decide to expand back into Cafepress as well and if there are newer, better services out there please let me know. There's isn't much I can do or say about the prices - my "markup" is minimal so the majority of what is charged goes to the POD company. But like I said, this isn't about the money, it's about getting some artwork done and out there.

     Hope you enjoy! Here's a link to the current store... ARCANE APPAREL ... Its a little sparse right now but I will be adding more work as soon as possible.

     Jeff

2 comments:

  1. Make sure to give www.tictail.com a try, it's super smooth and free! Best of luck with your relaunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there any way I could contact you about using this as a logo for our Facebook community and commissioning you to use it on our shirt?

    ReplyDelete